The Thirroul Railway Institute opened in December 1920, on the western side of Thirroul Station. The much-loved old building at 14 Railway Parade has been a hub for the community for almost a hundred years.
The Thirroul Railway Institute Hall was originally constructed by the NSW Railways for the education of employees and was also used for teaching a diverse range of skills in addition to social functions such as wedding receptions and political and union meetings.
Listen to the Thirroul Railway Institute Interviews:
Paul talks about the history of the hall and its uses and inclusions.
The Thirroul Railway Institute’s Photo Album
Dances – Dancefloor – Thirroul Station – Trains – 1920 – Railway Staff – Depot – Vocational Education – Library – Tradesmen – Engineers – Working-class – Piano – Bulli Workers Social & Literary Club – Wedding Receptions – Anniversaries – Industrial Meetings – Political Meetings – Unions – Labor Party – Union Banners – Photographs Of Labor Members – Thirroul Branch ALP, 1976 Proposed Demolition – TRIPS – Preservation Society – Thirroul Dance Academy – North Illawarra Bridge Club – Bluegrass – Illawarra Recorder Association – Centenary – Family Gatherings – Heritage Listing
The Thirroul Railway Institute interviews can be downloaded here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Be a digital volunteer and help edit the computer generated transcript of Paul’s interview about the Railway Institute using Amplify: